Thursday, March 20, 2008

From the Beginning


Greg and I met in the summer of 1997. We had the same summer job, a counselor position for Washington State University's new student orientation program. While Titanic was ruling the box office and Radiohead's Ok Computer was changing the way everyone heard music, Greg and I were living in the dorms with rotating groups of future students and their parents.

In a town surrounded by wheat fields there isn't much to do, but in the summer of 1997 we managed to entertain each other enough to leave a lasting impression. Summer love rarely lasts. September came and Greg focused his energy on his second senior year and my underage status didn't help him with his studying. Thanks to counselor training, we can agree to disagree about who actually broke up with whom, but both of us remember thinking we'd never come in contact with each other again. And we didn't, at least not for seven years. Greg was living in Seattle and I had been living in San Francisco since our days in Pullman. One day, bored and single in a big city, I decided to Google 'Greg Crump'. I found Greg's email living somewhere in the WorldWideWeb and soon we were exchanging witty email banter. Our e-flirt grew into our first meeting in Seattle, then in San Francisco. One year later Greg moved to San Francisco, where we currently rent a tiny apartment near Golden Gate Park (where Greg proposed) and Haight/Ashbury. 

So that's how we met, and then re-met. That's a true vintage photo of our first summer together. Greg took me to a concert at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Washington, only we didn't have tickets, instead he brought a couch and we listened to the show from outside the pavilion. Ah, college romance.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

allow me to be the first one to comment. Hmmm.... I have the honor to design the "save the date" or "STD" (like Ally likes to call it) that's how I learned about the existence of this blog ;-) I'm the first one!!! woo hoo!!
As "the leader" (like Ollie says) I would like to congratulate A & G. I wish you a very happy life together and a big family (I've heard Ally talk about 5 -7 kids --all boys -- crazy, dude!!)
Cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

Uncle Dougie, loves you and can't help loving Greg for loving you. I rejoice in in your choice to join. I got a chance to look into the Golden Gardens venue with your Dad yesterday. It looks like a great place for a party. Nice Blog site.

DJC said...

Love the site.
Got the car.
Love you.

DJC said...

Correction, got the card.
DJC

Anonymous said...

After not sharing details of the men in her Life, it is so nice to finally share in "Mr Right"! I love you two and can't wait for the show to begin! Love the save the date also! Ally's Mom

terry340 said...

It has been way too long since I've spoken with you, friend. I am so happy for you and your wife-to-be, Allison. You are a great guy and I wish you both the best. If Allison has your heart, then she is already a friend. I love you guys! Can't wait to see you... Are you taking music requests yet? Peter Gabriel - In your eyes, and some blind melon... Are you writing this down?
-Terry

Unknown said...

Ok, I am lovin' the retro couch and anyone who would bring a couch to a concert is top notch in my book!!! Good choice Alli :). I'm also thinkin' any one who would cop a squat on the retro couch is a great catch as well! Good eye Greg.... And another wedding in Seattle, yea! I'm hopping my dress staps stay on this time....Congratulations and love to you both, the Scriv's

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for the blessed event and hope it comes soon before Greg changes his mind!

By the way, did I notice a clean shaven Greg on the homepage? Nice look!

Can't wait for October :)

Love you guys...The Braun Family